If you are an adopted child or a biological parent looking for each other, here are some ways to start your search:
- Contact the adoption agency: If you were adopted through an agency, reach out to them to see if they can provide any information or assistance with your search. Depending on the circumstances of the adoption, they may be able to help facilitate contact or provide information about your biological family.
- Register with adoption reunion registries: There are several online adoption reunion registries that allow you to register your information and search for your biological family members. Some popular options include Adoption.com, Adopted.com, and the International Soundex Reunion Registry (ISRR).
- Use social media: Social media platforms, such as Facebook and Instagram, can be powerful tools for connecting with biological family members. Consider creating a public post with information about yourself and your search, or joining groups that focus on adoption search and reunion.
- Hire a search professional: There are professionals, known as search angels or search specialists, who specialize in helping individuals find their biological relatives. They often have access to resources and databases that are not publicly available.
- Use DNA testing: DNA testing services, such as AncestryDNA, 23andMe, and MyHeritage, can provide valuable information for those searching for biological relatives. Many individuals have been able to connect with biological family members through these services.
It’s important to keep in mind that searching for biological family members can be a complex and emotional process. Consider seeking out support from a professional counselor or adoption support group as you navigate your search.
Here is a list of adoption reunion registries that may be helpful for individuals searching for biological family members:
- International Soundex Reunion Registry (ISRR)
- Reunion Registry on the American Adoption Congress website
- Adoptee Searcher’s Handbook
- Texas Adoption Reunion Registry
- The Michigan Adoption Resource Exchange (MARE)
- New York State Adoption Registry
- Ohio Adoption Reunion Registry
- The Adoption Reunion Registry of Australia