Here are some helpful Google search tips and techniques when looking up information about a business or organization (such as a non profit):
- Use specific search terms and the correct spelling plus location information.
- Use quotation marks: To search for an exact phrase, put it in quotation marks. This tells Google to look for the exact phrase instead of individual words. For example, searching for “Acme Corporation” in quotation marks will give you results that contain that exact name.
- Use site operators: Use site operators to search within a specific website. For example, if you want to search for information about a business on their own website, you can search for “Acme Corporation site:acmecorp.com”. This will only show results from acmecorp.com.
- Use minus sign: To exclude certain words from your search results, use a minus sign (-). For example, if you want to search for Acme Corporation, but exclude results that mention “Acme Corporation” and “lawsuits”, you can search for “Acme Corporation -lawsuits”.
- Use filetype operators: Use filetype operators to search for specific file types. For example, if you want to find a PDF document about a business or organization, you can search for “Acme Corporation filetype:pdf”. This will show you only PDF documents that mention Acme Corporation. Another example is: “filetype:pdf annual report non-profit” will only show PDF files related to non-profit annual reports.
- Use location-based search: If you’re looking for information about a local business or organization, you can use Google’s location-based search to find results near you. For example, you can search for “pizza near me” to find local pizza restaurants or “Elks Club” near me.
- Look for news articles with Google News: News articles can provide valuable information about a business or organization, including recent developments, events, and controversies.
- Use Google Maps: You can use Google Maps to find information about a business, including their address, phone number, hours of operation, and customer reviews.
- Use Google Reviews: Google Reviews can be a valuable source of information about a business, as they provide feedback from customers who have used their services or products.
- Check the business or organization’s website: The entity’s website is likely to have the most up-to-date and accurate information about its mission, history, leadership, and other important details.
- Look for social media profiles: Most businesses and organizations have social media profiles, which can provide additional information about their activities, events, and public statements.
Note that the information you find on Google may not always be accurate or up-to-date. Additionally, it’s important to use the information you find in an ethical and responsible way.